Get started with Android monitoring
To monitor your Android app with Dynatrace, you first need to create a mobile application in the Dynatrace web UI and then instrument your actual Android app.
Create a mobile application in Dynatrace
Before instrumenting your actual Android app, create a mobile application in Dynatrace. You will use this application to monitor and analyze your Android app.
To create a mobile application in the Dynatrace web UI
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Deploy Dynatrace.
- Scroll down to the Mobile app monitoring section and select Set up mobile monitoring.
- Enter a name for your application and select Create mobile app. The application settings page opens.
Instrument your Android app
When you have a mobile application in Dynatrace, instrument your actual Android app with the Dynatrace Android Gradle plugin or OneAgent SDK for Android.
Dynatrace Android Gradle plugin
To auto-instrument your Android project, use the Dynatrace Android Gradle plugin. It integrates the auto-instrumentation process into your Android build.
OneAgent SDK for Android
If you can't use our plugin due to technical limitations, try standalone manual instrumentation with OneAgent SDK.
Fine-tune the instrumentation
After you've instrumented your Android app, you might want to configure some additional settings:
- Adjust communication with OneAgent SDK for Android
- Configure the auto-instrumentation process
- Create custom actions, report errors, tag specific users, and more using OneAgent SDK for Android
- Enable and configure Session Replay on crashes
- Configure the data privacy settings
- Learn what data Dynatrace captures for your Android app to complete or update the Data safety form in Google Play Console
Access mobile instrumentation wizard
The mobile instrumentation wizard in the Dynatrace web UI provides you with get-started instructions on instrumenting your mobile applications. The wizard also contains code snippets with your application identification keys that you'll need to add to your project's build file. The application identification keys—
beaconUrl—are required so that your application can send monitoring data to Dynatrace.
- In the Dynatrace menu, go to Mobile.
Select the mobile application that you want to configure.
- Select More (…) > Edit in the upper-right corner of the tile with your application name.
- From the application settings, select Instrumentation wizard.
- Select Android.